Thursday, February 4, 2010

Avatar vs. giving

I have a wonderful life and I have all that I need. But of course, sometimes there are things that I don't necessarily need but want. I grew up in a large family, and there were times when we had just enough to get by, so we learned at an early age to be economical.
Even now, I know the value of money and I try not to spend my money on things I don't really need. But it's nice to have a little extra to buy a book, or go out to eat, or even go to the cinema every now and then. I don't make a habit out of it, but there are times when I do treat myself with something special.

One Saturday morning, my friend Eden and I woke up early to go help at the homeless kitchen. We parked the car and walked half a block to the place, and on the way there I noticed something on the snow. I picked it up and it was 1000 Huf (less than 5 euros) and I waved it at Eden
"Look, I can finally go watch Avatar" I said and put it in my pocket and hurried to catch up with Eden.
Two days later I was in my room, and Eden came to sit on my bed and told me
"My sister just called me" her sister lives in Szeged, another city in Hungary "and she told me of a family she knows...the father is gone, it's only the grandma, mother, one son and a daughter. The daughter has cancer, that's how my sister met them--at the hospital..." Eden's sister goes to the Cancer Hospital to visit the patients and their families.
"She said that this family is so poor, that they all live in one room, and for a while they had no heating. But my other sister gave them money to fix their heater. Well, it looks like they have little food, and sometimes they can't even go to the hospital because they don't have money to pay the bus ticket."
Eden said "why don't we pray for them? I don't really know what else to do"
"well, I have a little money..." I said, thinking of the money I was saving to go to the cinema to watch Avatar in 3D "it's not much, but it's better than nothing..."

Well I didn't get to go to the cinema, but I am very happy I had that money put aside so that I could help the poor girl and her family. At the end of the day, is the things do we for others that count for a life well spent.



Eden and I at the Magyar-Maltai kitchen by Moszkva Ter